5/24/20

The Terrible Movie Marathon FInale: #19!


(Edward D. Wood Jr., 1959)

Greetings, my friends. 

The only way to end the Terrible Movie Marathon: Quarantine 19 Edition is with the most famous terrible movie of all time: Plan 9 From Outer Space (aka Grave Robbers From Outer Space). Ed Wood's masterpiece is the final film of Bela Lugosi, and the first for Ed's girlfriend's chiropractor who doubled for Lugosi in order to complete the picture. It's a harrowing message to earthlings everywhere that we need to change our evil ways or perish. It's certainly been said before, but Plan 9 From Outer Space, while underfunded and technically inept, is far from a truly terrible movie. It's a DIY masterpiece before DIY was a thing. It has a beauty all its own, as do all truly terrible movies. After viewing 19 terrible movies to pass the time in quarantine, Jen and I needed to chase it with the equally re-watchable and truly wonderful Tim Burton movie scripted by Scott Alexander and Larry Karaszewski: Ed Wood. If you haven't seen it I highly recommend giving it a spin. As people are talking a lot about "comfort movies" lately, that one definitely comes to mind.

Thanks to my brave and beautiful partner Jen for enduring this crazy marathon with me. You make me feel like I've snorted the magic love cocaine from Willow. Some people see movies as "tests" for their partners, which we've never really done...but our simultaneous and mutual realization that Hell Comes to Frogtown is brilliant made me feel even more connected to you than I already did. Rowdy Roddy Piper just brings people closer together, I guess.

Stay healthy and stay indoors, everybody! Don't be a stupid, stupid human! And remember my friends, future events such as these will affect you in the future!





Jen's Award for Best Dialogue

(Paula to Jeff)

PAULA TRENT

Don't worry about me.


JEFF TRENT

Oh, forget about the flying saucers, they're up there! But there's something in that cemetery.

PAULA TRENT

The saucers are up there...

[she looks up to the sky]

...and the cemetery's out there...

[she looks to the right ]

...but I'll be locked up in there.

[she looks left to the house ]


No comments: