5/16/20

Terrible Movie Marathon #17


(Ron Howard, 1988)


From the director of Eat My Dust comes the family fantasy favorite Willow. To be clear: at this point in the "19 Terrible Movies Marathon" my ability to discern the "Good-Terrible" from the "Bad-Terrible" is waning. Each terrible movie is terrible in it's own unique way, to be sure, but Willow is clearly just terrible: no fun, no laughs, and too long. In some cases (The Boyfriend School comes to mind), a short running time is made to seem interminable, but Willow is one of those movies that is both long and interminable. Like the recent film version of Cats, one doesn't so much "watch" Willow as they do "endure" it. Warwick Davis plays the titular character and somehow gets third billing. The killer shrews from The Killer Shrews play themselves. That guy who played Jim Morrison is also in it. I liked some of the more Ray Harryhausen-like effects. That's all I can tell you about this movie. I'm tired. 

Special commendation: Friend of Ecstatic "Bill" recommended Willow for the Terrible Movie Marathon, and...we thank you? Bill's experience with this movie is one I'm sure many are having recently, as we revisit childhood comfort movies only to discover that "childhood you" thought awful movies were perfectly acceptable. Feel free to post your favorite re-visited horrors in the comments! 


Jen's Best Dialogue Award

(Madmartigan to Sorsha, after having inhaled some of lil Kevin Pollak's love dust)

"You are my sun, my moon, my starlit sky, without you I dwell in darkness."

"Your touch is worth a hundred thousand deaths."


Up next: More knock-off 80's crap!

No comments: