1/8/22

Best Discoveries 2021

A few "first views" that stuck with me in 2021: two early films from Ozu that are as good as any Ozu I've ever seen; one film from Chloe Zhao that shows how unbelievable she is with non-actors--she's definitely the only director to make my "Best Discoveries" list (The Rider), my "Best Films" list (Nomadland), and my "Not For Me" list (The Eternals) this year; Tarzan and his Mate is the pre-code find of the year, and more entertaining than you can possibly imagine; Mickey Reece is the true independent discovery of the year, and while I also enjoyed Strike Dear Mistress, and Cure His Heart, the other two films listed here stuck with me more; the stone-cold masterpieces that I'm just catching up with this year are as follows--Varda's The Gleaner's and I, Joseph von Sternberg's The Scarlet Empress, Barbara Kopple's Harlan County USA, and George Sluizer's The Vanishing(88)--if you've been sleeping on any of these, as I have, don't hesitate to put them on your short list. Thanks to Michael LeVan for steering me back to Jia Zhang Ke, a filmmaker who had never really hit with me until I saw Still Life. And thanks again goes out to my friend and author David Cochran for tossing a couple of incredible cult classics my way recently: Ivan Dixon's The Spook Who Sat By the Door and Rene Daalder's inexplicable Massacre at Central High. Also listed below you'll find a few other director's who are nothing to sneeze at: Fellini, Pasolini, Teshigahara, Russell, Fuller, and a whole bunch more.

Keep discovering new films in 2022! And remember to keep me posted on what you're watching!

Here are my favorite discoveries of 2021:

Takeshis'  Takeshi Kitano, 2005



World of Glory  Roy Andersson, 1991 (short)

Khrustalyov, My Car!  Aleksey German, 1998


The Rider  Chloe Zhao, 2017


Passing Fancy  Yasujiro Ozu, 1933


The Only Son  Yasujiro Ozu, 1936


Tarzan and His Mate  Cedric Gibbons, 1934


Still Life  Jia Zhang Ke, 2006


The Gleaners and I  
Agnès Varda, 2000


The Spook Who Sat by the Door  Ivan Dixon, 1973


Night and Day  Hong Sang-soo, 2008


Right Now, Wrong Then  Hong Sang-soo, 2015


The Scarlet Empress  Joseph von Sternberg, 1934


Teorema  Pier Paolo Pasolini, 1968


The Lair of the White Worm  Ken Russell, 1988


Nothing But a Man  Michael Roemer, 1964


Il Bidone  Fededrico Fellini, 1955


Film  Samuel Beckett, 1965


NOTFILM  Ross Lipman, 2015


Hardcore Henry  
Ilya Naishuller


The Crimson Kimono  Samuel Fuller, 1959


T-Rex  Mickey Reece, 2014


Suedehead  Mickey Reece, 2015


Harlan County, USA  Barbara Kopple, 1976


Mauvais Sang  Leos Carax, 1986


The Face of Another  Hiroshi Teshigahara, 1966


The Vanishing  George Sluizer, 1988





The Best of the Terrible:
(these are in a class all their own)

Sextette Ken Hughs (from the play by Mae West), 1977


Massacre at Central High  Rene Daalder, 1976


Llamageddon  Howie Dewin, 2015


No comments: